Friday, November 26, 2004

|| Habitat for Humanity Builds

Friday, the 19th of 2004, and there was something seriously wrong with me. We were more than 2 hours late. It was rather unbelievable. I drove around the town up and down, east and west, and made numerous mistakes. I was mad that morning, but fortunately, the day wasn't a total wreck. The day was meant to be one that stayed in my memories for a long period of time.

The Habitat Company is one of the largest private residential property managers in Chicago and midwest regions. On that particular day, we were helping in 2316 Byron Avenue in Richmond. The work was putting up (taping) the dry walls. Yuan and I worked a great deal, and I was just proud of myself. We did just hammering the nails for the first couple of dry walls, but quickly figured out how to measure and cut the boards. There were other carpentry techniques that are interesting, and certainly our supervisor Bill was extremely tolerant of the mediocre quality jobs from us volunteers. Bill, like all other hard working people, has an attractive sense of humor, and directs us well on the progress of the building.

But it was lots of labor. My hands were literally burning because I didn't wear gloves, and then all my physical strength seemed to be losing fast in the afternoon. Yuan and I did one bedroom closet, and one kitchen closet.

House and building house were never my dreams. I have very modest goals now, but I look at this opportunity as the start of my dreams, of owning a living space, where I will be with my families for ever and ever. I knew nothing was hard if I set my minds on it, therefore the procrastinations from the other side of the equation became all the more disappointing. I would visit here again, just look at it in far sight maybe.

No comments: