Monday, July 04, 2011

|| No Wonders at Wonder Lake

I was counting on hours so that we could start on road for the flight tour. It was probably five hours of bed rest, expensive but much needed. We were back on track with time, loaded our trunk with water and food, started our drive towards Talkeetna.

Looking outside the car window, the immediate vicinity was much like any city in the states, strip malls, houses, hotels, traffic lights and etc. But when we put our heads up, we saw in that remoteness the outlines of mountains and small streams of icy glaciers. The air was fresh and fresh was probably too plain a word to describe how it was. I was still under the influence of the many drugs I took and the terrible air time experiences. I wasn't looking forward to another flight tour. The drive was slightly better than expected, roads were fine and constantly needed to contemplate passing the slower RVs, that was when I noticed there was an insurmountable RVs in Alaska. The weather was unpredictable, it was cloudy, it was sunny, it was drizzling. By the time we got to the K2 house, it was blue sky with a few rain drops.

Has everyone heard about the weather condition? What happened? The mountains were all in clouds so the planes couldn't take us there, instead they offered to fly to Kenai but everyone wanted to see Mount McKinley. I didn't think hard at all, it was easy. I couldn't wait forever here and I didn't look forward to another flight (tour) from the bottom of my heart. I rescheduled.

After a short rest, I drove on another 2.5 hours and reached Denali. Got the wonderlake tickets and checked out the Savage river trail and the day ended with a dog sled show. I chatted with the girl in the Wilderness Access Center, and learned there are actually Chinese and Thai food around the 1 mile service area. I looked for it, and surprisingly found them in trailers, couldn't get myself used to eating food prepared from a trailer but I quickly learned that the other options are much less desirable. The Chinese express food from the trailer was full of soy source, not too impressive but not too disappointing. Remember that ...

After some help from a boy on the golf cart, I found the Denali Bluff Hotel, cabins but well organized and connected. Very pleasant place, and my physicality was on the rebound, somewhat a flat hope for the next day wonderlake, never heard too many people say that they are amazed ... so let us see.





No comments: