Tuesday, July 05, 2011

|| Valdez Columnbia Glacier

Valdez is the most beautiful town in the US. I will agree for now, the variations of the geology are probably rare to find in this world. The peacefulness of a place like this can probably replicated in other places though. I did love this, two days in Valdez, 1.5 was rainy and messy while 0.5 was bright and sunny. I was lucky enough to see what the town was in changing weathers.

I followed many tour blogs from the 2005-2006 and many of them mentioned the once-in-a-life experience of Columbia glacier kayaking. I struggled, this would be strenuous but I was willing to take the risk and that of others because I live one-in-my-lifetime. The day was rough and surpassing my expectations on the physicals.

Let's start from the B&B place we stayed in. It was nice, no complaint but I didn't like it. It was the lacking taste if I could explain but I couldn't. A light breakfast and we drove in rain to our company Pangae Adventures. The first thing we did was to rubber up - wearing rain coat, rain pants, the apron, the floating safety cover ... felt like a penguin, even went to the rest room with this outfit. Then we got training, which was not that easy as described of welcoming beginners. We got everything trying out the boat, walked to the dock and got ourselves onto the water taxi. Two hours, it was that far, the Columbia glacier.

No comments: