Sunday, April 23, 2006

|| Pride and Prejudice

A first English book from high school, Pride and Prejudice is the food of love that fills my soul. This new movie in 2005 is particularly young and vibrant. It lacks the serenity but offers an impulsive and crispy air. Language has been changed to a great deal, but with subtle traces back to the original novel script. New additions to the screen have memory collapses with time passages, that actaully makes up the gravity of the thinking process.

Female characters are very lovely. Kierra Knightly giggles like a silly peasant girl (my favorite), yes, one day someone catches your eye, and you'll just have to watch you tongue! The expressions are naturally understood, but less of a witty quality that I had thought that Elizabeth possessed, but the manners, the walks, the air, the deliverance had the marks from her, if not from her tongue. I also liked Claudie Blakely as Charlotte Lucas, a plain looking gal. She is firm and determined and practical and observant, really many good qualities that men look for in women that become their significant half. Is she better than Elizabeth, I am not so sure. While I do love Rosamund Pike when she starred in Die another day, there is nothing that's worth noting in this role as Jane Bennet but merely a pretty face. She is supposed to be a woman of very modest and reserved virtue, but her pretty face does not offer that besides being pretty.

The novel had interesting debates regarding women's accomplishments, using a professional language, with different perspectives of scopes and depth. Amazing, I like the Caroline Bingley (Kelly Reilly) very much so although she only had very few close shots that actually show her air, her figure, her walks. She does own a sense of class that you don't get in Elizabeth's manners. And you can't help but admiring the other end of the beauty, not the peasant girl type, but I have to admit that I'm falling for her, may have something to do with my sudden sense of feeling the style, like sitting in the cafe on a Sunday early afternoon, eating french onion soup and a caeser salad ... or have some drinks with friends in a restaurant at 7:30 Friday evenings ... She reminded me that I don't have to be nice, or warm, or natural. A learned or informed elegance and highness can be equally attractive. Funny that this goes opposite to what the novel actually says, yet this Caroline Bingley has a connection with my changed taste, growing senior ...

I won't comment on the men characters. They don't really stand out from the various movie editions dated back to the 40s. The girls, Ms. Bennet being one of those, moved me, inspired me, motivated me. I already saw three times after I downloaded it using bittorrent, will repeat that time after time after time, can't wait for the next ten years to pass to see the next Pride and Prejudice, always a breeze, more than just a breeze ...

No comments: