Saturday, September 19, 2009

|| 24 Hrs in Virginia Beach

Summer's final craziness is here in Virginia at the beach, 2 hrs drive from Richmond from 9:30am Thursday morning. Obviously it's a weekday, and we were right off the morning peak hours. After Williamsburg, I-64 became slow and busy all the way to the very end. I had no problem changing to I-264, but decided that I would call Rudee to see if any of the tours were opening 'cause the sky was dark and cloudy and gloomy as if a storm was about to hit town. My instinct was not too wrong when the girl told me on the phone that all tours were cancelled that day. I had no choice but to call the hotel (Newcastle Motel) if they could open up an empty room for me because I would be early. And nicely, when I got to my destination hotel, a room was already ready. We went to the room, and took an instant liking of the balcony view, ocean front, and fifth floor (505) is facing a big empty grassy land right in front of the 3-mile broadway walk. There were people walking around, very many of them on this weekday, surprisingly.


Since there were no tours, we had to drive around to the lighthouse. It was supposed to be ... it was very painful getting into the military zone because I wasn't expecting it at all. Securities were strip searching the car, opening the hood (personally), the truck, throwing the keys on the dashboard, opening the compartment in front of the passenger seat ... well, we got through and climbed up the old lighthouse. It's a traditionally built with solid bricks with black whirled staircase to get to the top. At times the steps were narrow and the air was somewhat thin, but the top was fascinating. It overlooks the cape corner and offers the panaramic view of the sea, sand, military buildings and a few historical sites. This was very windy day, kinda gloomy, but cleared a little bit compared to the dark hanging cloudiness we saw earlier.




Outside the lighthouse, there were two bridgewalks out to the sandy beach. We decided to extend our lighthouse tour to the outer bank. It was more than pretty view, if the hotel district is nothing but organized crime, this is the real random but natural act. Hardly anyone, any time should be noted to interrupt the quite enjoyment.




We were already at the northern end of the Atlantic Ave., then we went west to the Shore drive, impulsive, all I had was a few crappy maps printed off the tourism sites. However, we happened to find a beautiful and unique place, the First Landing State Park. It was very secluded, we only saw 4-5 people around, 3 cars. Determined, we decided to try the easiest and closest trail, the Bald Cypress trail (red). At first, I didn't quite understand that bald cypress and spanish moss, but after walking through several of the overlooks, I finally was able to appreciate the plantations here, and what a wonderful it had been given, the bald cypress. The buds popped up the water like a dry and boring balding head of the humans. The moss was all over the trees, bottom to head, water to land. These were some of the most exciting pictures I had taken for the trip. Since I am having quite a fantasy to the Phantom and Twilight, I was immediately drafting out a plan, obviously there could be no staging director for the Phantom scene, everything was natually born and set, the meandering waterways, the order-less trees and plants were ready to be commanded for their chief actor.





That was quite a spin in one afternoon, we retired comfortably, took a walk to the south end of the broadwalk of course. The second day, we took a gamble for the Rudee Rocket tour. Thank goodness, the weather was supporting, and we had 15 people, enough to sail the boat out to the sea. The Rocket tour is the 2000 watt high speed touring boat, but obviously when I developed my thoughts of this boat, I didn't think of the ups and downs on the sea and the impacts to how my heart would feel. But even if I had known the risks and discomfort, I would still go. It was the speed boat I had dreamed of, fast, high and flamboyant. The crew played loud and I did mean loud music, old time party favorites (both the youngsters and the older couple were singing and dancing their steps together) while blasting the water leaving a huge trail of water marks. Life is on the fast lane here ...




These last two pictuers were taken at the twilight in the morning, and they were refreshingly pretty and cute.


Lastly, the final hours, we were looking for the Bill Forest seafood market. Had been there once about six years ago, still wanted to stop by for fresh crabs. The roads were difficult, but memories came back a little bit after seeing the trinity church building, what a relief, getting lost was not a good idea.

Bill Forrest Seafood

287 Messick Rd, Poquoson, Virginia. 23262
Tel : (+1)757-868-9322

No comments: