Saturday, August 29, 2009

|| Hot day on the Flood Wall walk

In reverse order, this was the second stop on the James River trips. Flood wall is on the opposite side of Bell Isle, so south of the River. First, I was awed by how much history the downtown has showed me, was never a fan of it because the downtown that I have lived up to is built is modern, urban, crowded and dysfunction. The Richmond downtown was obviously built from a much earlier era, evidenced by the heavy industrial and manufacture reminiscent. It is very clean by all means, but old and lacking human scents. So after wandering the streets figuring out parking places, I found the designated lot on Hull St.


The weather was extremely hot. I felt sweating from head to toe, but had to keep on walking. The scene of the James River was much of the same from the week before on Bell Isle, rapids, water (not abundant because of no rain). However I could see the new downtown on the north more clearly as if I stood to watch Manhattan from the other side of the Hudson River. When I saw it, I was tranquil and peaceful, the nature looks like everything is in good place and in right order, that includes me as well. I was fortunate enough to see it.



The roads led me to some unknown rock walls. They were not easy to understand, how it came about and how it is now maintained. Only when I climbed my way along the hills through the paved and planned trail did I see that it was actually the stone bridge support for the James, but now it is abandoned for sure. There was a sign that marks the year and the people that made it, more than a hundred years ago. I stood on the overlook and watched it, grateful that I was able to share the experience with so many others before me and surely after me.


The summer is coming to an end. It has been a busy season, and slowly it's gone.

No comments: