Saturday, October 28, 2006

|| Kick, push, and coast

People who attend college here in the US have an edge. They smirk, they ghetto, they sport. I didn't know exactly why a few years' apart would make the whole experience different until very recently. Every society of the world has stereotyping, generalization, pride and prejudice, but only the US has elevated the conflicting interests to those of race, discrimination and ideology. Yang, Dave, and me had a happy Friday night with our friends Jerome and Christina. Jerome is black, Christina half white half Spanish, and we are Asians. The night was full of racial jokes, or maybe not jokes.

The college is the ground for developing a colored lense in seeing people, Asians (with glasses) fixing computers and working their ass on homeworks, blacks pulling out the gun from the back pocket, hispanics, oh well, I do not know, but sure there is something. But people grow up, not necessarily in a good way, but learn to pretend on basis of being liberal, democratic, and equal rights. Those are the ones that go to grad schools, and therefore we who come after the advanced degree never get to go through the test of foul plays but real, instead we see fair games but fake. So we have not learned.

I take pride that I had worked in a restaurant every weekend for two years, the odd jobs that we hold merely add to the richness that a life can crave for. Dave worked in a ghetto Circuit City, therefore mouthful of jokes of racism, including pretending not being a Chinese and not knowing Chinese and only revealing the truth when it comes to light. The life of people can never be learned from the books and eyes and ears, hence I often think that it does good to be tasting how ugly or beautiful the real world is by working in there.

Blacks have bad histories, Asians are "naturally" humble, yo, we are brothers and sisters. We talk ganster stories, pg county, chopping down living things, torture movies, hip hop music with slurs and killings. We live in the west end, but half an hour down the road, there is the ghetto KFC that does not have chickens to sell. We greet people with "how are you" in workplace, but the moment we hop back to the cars, we turn back to ourselves, sounds kick ass.

Who I like, who I don't like. I'd like to think of myself being bad after high school, but when the lense was unexpectedly applied to, I denied, off the chart, smashing, dashing, that would be a hit to me. I retreated to a safe corner, classic. I'd like to stay with not-my-typical-Chinese, although they may not be good for me, obviously they are not. Rebels are interestingly bad, not just for a Friday night. Stay clean.

Kick, and push, and coast. Looking for a place to be.

No comments: