Sunday, June 11, 2006

|| Faith, Religion, Charity

As little as I ever want to provoke different opinions and argue for a thing that can never have a winner or loser, the ocasions arise that I have to face the questions, the remarks and criticism. And I am very less experienced in answering them, yes would sound like that I am easily persuaded, and no would sound like that I have little taste.

I went to a Saturday study group of a known charity group. In the United States, humans can hardly be social without being religious. I had not thought about exercising my prudent before agreeing to attend, 'cause it would be rude to ask such questions. The effect on me can rarely be guessed, Tammy didn't understand me, I am free thinking and free thinking I'd like to remain. It was Buddhism, many years since I last visisted a Buddhist temple, and never had any serious readings of its books. The religious leader for this group, as seen on a couple of Discovery people portraits, is a very smart and respectable person, she talks real, looks humane, and embraces the new world in many different ways. I strongly feel that the Asian culture, due to the large population and the bad history of being poor and less developed, requires a religion (new or old) to carry out an event that has impacts to the mass public. The approved and the non-approved societies in the past few years were all consequences of the history of the land and people, only religious groups, not business groups, can accomplish and conquer. Hence the US has Salvation Army, the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, Food Bank, and etc ... No one organization is associated with the most well known religious parties, there may be faith, such as mission statements, designed for spiritual enhancements, but they are faith, common sense, consciousness, not religion. In that city that they gathered, volunteers wore uniforms, followed rituals, and worshipped the leader. Hard to explain again, US only worships morals, values, and religions for maybe an hour on a Sunday morning, and those morals and values, although not talked about as often, they had those in the daily life; some others worship 24x7, never know how to live a life this is moral, with value.

Once I asked a friend what he considers to be mature, responsible, returning to the community. He says that himself being fine is the best return to the family and the society. It's self absorbing, in my opinion, to the family, to assume that they will have no need from the offspring, no matter how modest they have been; to the society, to ring fence one's responsibility as a single being. My own problem, rather, is not having the kind of determination that gets me into the actions. Tammy specifically requested that we not wait till retirement to act on the commitment, a small contribution, a big hand help while we are financially capable and physically healthy. My other problem is that I can be harsh, wanting more and quicker back from the people I help, but they have far more problems to deal with in their days of life, which I cannot see, and cannot help with.

No comments: