Saturday, February 18, 2006

|| Consistency

For years, I was impressed by the music choices in Michelle Kwan's programs:
2005 - Bolero
2004 - Tosca
2003 - Aranjuez
2002 - Scheherezade
......
And as a matter of fact, the music has been consistently sophiscated since her early years in the early 1990s. It compliments the determination seen in all of her moves, making me wonder what music defines me as a person. Just recently I've been trying different styles, older ones like the eagles (mainly songs from their 70s) and the beatles, who speak for the ease and the sadness; newer ones like maroon 5 and coldplay, who speak for the unknown and the anxiety. And can't deny the fact that for most of my life, I listen to pop music from the radio, most times I just need it for the lack of dazziness in my mood.

Classics, which I'm just getting into, don't all speak the language, not yet. Turandot doesn't work for me, the nutcracker is fine, but not great. I like the ones that have inconsistencies in them, that empower in the middle of the twist, with enough controls, when it's not flamboyant, when it's not bubbly. I want to hear the heaviness and uncertainty as it comes with life, quiet and subdued as it may look in me, I have what it takes to push to the front, to the edge, and get higher. However, the higher I go, the harder when I fall, that comes in real as well.

When I listen, I go back to the days, to the turns, when it's consistently inconsistent. Life is not about the monotonous, it's the power to control the inconsistent elements of life, that I hold on to what I've got.

No comments: